Papers Please Calensk
Calensk is an Arstotzkan guard and will come to the inspector at the beginning of day 9 complaining about his payment. He also adds that when the inspector detains someone, he gains a bonus. Calensk makes a deal with the inspector: he will give the inspector 5 credits for every 2 people the inspector detains. The maximum amount he can pay is limited, though. The inspector cannot reject the deal.
On day 11, Calensk gives the inspector only 5 credits, no matter how many entrants have been detained in the past two days, saying that he spent the rest on a cure for his wife’s illness. He promises to pay the debt later, but when he makes his next entrance on day 13, he will only pay the inspector up to 10 credits, even if more than four people were detained.
On day 15, Calensk assists the inspector to defuse a bomb and is planning on selling the bomb parts for extra profit. He will deliver the inspector’s share on day 16. This time, he pays 10 credits if fewer than four people (or no one) have been detained. He will not pay more than 15 credits, regardless of the number of detainees. The maximum amount of credits the inspector can get from him in person is 30 credits.
After day 16, his post is moved to a prison, but he will keep paying for detained people. He will deliver the payment to the inspector’s home at the end of the day, every two days, starting on day 18. This bonus is capped at 30 credits per delivery, which would require the inspector to detain 12 people every two days.
Near the end of the game, a delivery is made on two consecutive days (days 30 and 31).
How do you defuse the bomb?
First, the inspector needs to open the cover by clicking on four screws. The bomb can then be defused by clicking the exposed wires in the right order as shown by the numbers on the bomb (second wire from the left, then the first from the left, then the rightmost, and finally the third wire from the left).
Papers Please Bomb
The bomb is an activated explosive device that is delivered to the inspector’s booth on day 15. It forms part of the story as the inspector is required to defuse it.
The second entrant on day 15 drops the bomb onto the inspector’s desk, shouts “DEATH TO ARSTOTZKA!” and runs away. The bomb poses no immediate threat – Calensk has enough time to enter the booth, call the bomb “amateur shit” and give the inspector instructions on how to defuse it (see the transcript below for more information), and leave some time to perform the task as outlined below as Calensk furthers his ridicule of the weapon.
To operate the bomb, it needs to be moved to the counter, i.e. to the bottom right window of the interface (in the desktop version; to the bottom of the screen on iPad) from the booth view. First, the inspector needs to open the cover by clicking on four screws. The bomb can then be defused by clicking the exposed wires in the right order as shown by the numbers on the bomb (second wire from the left, then the first from the left, then the rightmost, and finally the third wire from the left).
If the wires are cut out of order or if one minute passes (in real time, starting when the bomb is delivered), the bomb will detonate, sending the player back to the title screen.
Once the bomb has been defused, Calensk will take the casing, wanting to sell the parts for extra credits. The game will not continue until the inspector gives him the bomb. Calensk will pay the inspector his cut on day 16.
- [Calensk] What is going on?
- [Calensk] Oh. Hah.
- [Calensk] What is this amateur shit?
- [inspector] Should we evacuate?
- [Calensk] For that little thing? No of course not.
- [Calensk] Just disable it. Open the cover.
After opening the cover:
- [Calensk] Stupid fucking terrorist.
- [Calensk] Could not even add a display.
- [inspector] What should I do now?
- [Calensk] This is the poorest bomb I ever see. A simple mind created this.
- [Calensk] Just cut the wires in order.
After cutting the wires:
- [Calensk] Ok, all done. Back to work.
- [inspector] We should close the checkpoint.
- [Calensk] Bullshit. I need to earn money today.
- [Calensk] Give bomb to me.
- [Calensk] I sell materials and give you cut.
After being given the bomb:
- [Calensk] What a piece of shit.
- [Calensk] I doubt it is even worth much.
- [Calensk] Call the next immigrant.
Instant death in papers please
There are four points in Papers, Please where the game can end in an instant death as the inspector dies on the job. If this occurs, the game will cut straight back to the opening menu with a flash of light. There is no endingcutscene, no ending number (and thus no white dot to achieve in the saved game menu), no music, and no achievement for these.
The four ways to die are:
- Being blown up by the bomb given by a terrorist on day 15. This can happen if the inspector fails to disarm the bomb in one minute or if he cuts the wires in the wrong order.
- Touching the poison powder given by an EZIC messenger on day 20.
- A motorcycle attacker will lob a grenade into the booth on day 21 if the inspector fails to shoot them before.
- Having the booth blown up by EZIC on day 31. This can happen if either the inspector has completed 0 to 3 EZIC tasks and he fails to shoot the lower attacker or if the inspector has performed four out of five EZIC tasks and then shoots the top attacker.